Date/ Time: Friday-Sunday / April 5-7 /
Fri-Sat 10:30-6:00pm; Sun 10:30-4:00pm
Cost: $395 + variable supply fee (for optional add-ons)
Registration: Call in, come in, or register online. 425.697.2787
Location: ArtWorks in Edmonds - a lovely, large space with plenty of parking places! 200 Dayton St, Edmonds, WA 98020
Expand your creative abilities using pastel, with this amazing instructor’s guidance. From this national and internationally award-winning artist, you’ll learn how value, patterns and color temperatures can make your paintings really stand out.
Learn how to really see and how to analyze your work with a more confident eye. With a strong focus on the landscape, Amanda will demonstrate painting skies, trees and sky holes as well as how to create mood, emotion and atmosphere in your work. With daily demos, experimentation and plenty of individual instruction, this beloved instructor will generously share her techniques for achieving masterful results.
This workshop will be at ArtWorks - just 3 blocks away from Cole Gallery, with an airy, large space and their own parking lot. Notice also the extended time (until 6pm on Friday, 5pm on Saturday and Sunday); come rested and prepared to absorb as much info as you can!
All of Amanda’s classes are grounded in design and composition and have a balanced mix of theory, technique and experimentation. She likes her students to try as many different surfaces and techniques to expand their creative repertoire. To that end, Amanda will demo how to use different techniques on different surfaces to achieve great results. You will have the option to learn to create your own surface by painting a sanded gesso to a board or metal – supplies for this option will be provided by the instructor for the $20 supply fee – please bring cash or check payable to Amanda if you are interested in this option.
Packed with fast-paced design and loosening up exercises, this 3-day workshop will take your paintings to the next level!
Some experience in pastels is necessary.
You can purchase your quality art supplies at ARTspot! Registered students receive a 10% discount on all their art supplies from the time of paid registration until the last day of class. Most items on this list are available at ARTspot. Please let their staff advise you about appropriate art materials to fulfill requirements for your class. Questions about these supplies? ARTspot staff are happy to help you. Call 425-640-6408 or email at ARTspotEdmonds@gmail.com. Visit Artspot's Web Site
PASTELS: As many as you can bring, with a mixture of soft and hard pastels, with a range of brights, darks and grey tones. NO oil pastels.
· SOFT PASTELS: Amanda has her own signature color boxes of Richeson Pastels through ARTSpot. (An 80 pc. Landscape essentials set and a 40 pc. Neutral essentials set.).
Optional: Amanda also uses Terry Ludwig for darks (v100x, B3560, G540,R160), Diane Townsend Terrage sticks in light creams and blues. Amanda also loves the Diane Townsend Pearlized sticks for sparkle in water and birds (501, 505, 503, 616), and these pearlized sticks last for many years. All of these are totally optional for you, and not available locally. Visit www.Dakotapastels.com, or order directly from the supplier for these specialty pastels.
· HARD PASTELS: (20-30): Girault or NUPastel - a variety of darks and lights. You can pick up a 24 piece set of NUPastels at ARTSpot. If you prefer buying pastels by the stick (from Dakota), these are Amanda’s favorite colors for skies and water and scumbling techniques:
NUPastel: 207,212, 257, 256, 276, 245, 235, 285, 244, 277, 376, 314, 235, 288, 305, 298
Girault: 199, 178, 463, 375
DRAWING BOARD: Gator-board (preferably black but white will work), foam core or Masonite board for taping your papers and inspiration references on.
PAPERS: If you have a favorite, please bring it. Amanda will be demoing on LaCarte paper (Sienna color), Art Spectrum Colorfix, and Pastel Premiere. You can buy a large sheet and cut them down into smaller workable sizes for the class: 9x12, 11x14 or 12x16. We will focus on lots of small work. Bring at least enough for 4 paintings. I encourage students to try surfaces they haven’t tried.
EASEL of YOUR CHOICE: Any field easel will work, like a French easel. Art Works has standing easels, for your convenience. (Amanda uses a Heilman pastel box on a tripod.)
1” small inexpensive hardware brush
1-2 different sized synthetic brushes from “Snap!” by Princeton or Simply Simon: ¾” flat or stroke (optional, but Amanda likes them because they are a good value)
· REQUIRED: Sketchbook- Small personal sketchbook in any size. Amanda likes “Strathmore Toned sketchbooks” in either gray or tan for doing thumbnail value studies.
· Photo references of landscapes to bring for inspiration of what you want to paint. KEEP IT SIMPLE. Think 3-5 big shapes. No pets or intricate detailed photos please. Instructor will have inspirational photos as well.
· Selection of pencils in a variety of hardness: HB, 2B, 4B, 6B
· Stabillo pencils (white, gray and black) for value studies
OR Tombow or Faber-Castell grey set of 4 pens (for value sketches) (optional)
· Kneaded eraser
· Vine charcoal for sketching on your surface (soft or very soft)
· Black Artist tape 3/4"-1" or Blue painter’s tape
and/or Clips (to quickly clip paper to boards)
· View Catcher or composition finder (by Guerrilla Painter)
· MH Value Finder or Red Composite Grid or Picture Perfect 3 in 1 View Finder
· Exacto Knife or straight edge to cut (by Olfa)
· Paper towels (I like Viva, or Home Depot Shop Towels)
· wet wipes
· Small container of denatured Alcohol or mineral spirits for doing underpainting techniques (optional - water works in a pinch too) and a small container to put it in (old tuna can works fine)
· 2 medium sized Tupperware containers, one filled with cheap cornmeal (to clean your pastels)
· Pad of Newsprint paper 18x24 (optional)
· Spray Fixative: Lascaux for finish work or any workable fixative for working (optional)
· Glassine Paper: to put over your finished work to protect it in transport. Or sandwich between two pieces of gatorboard. (optional)
*For supply fee (please bring cash or a check to the instructor), Amanda will provide gator board, sanded gesso medium, roller and sandpaper, as well as lecture, demo and hands-on guidance if people want to try preparing your own surface boards. If possible, she will have extra paper if people want to purchase more from her. Instead of a flat fee, these items will be available to students as separate purchases, so that you can pay as you use them, and aren’t paying for things you don’t use.
Check this out! ARTspot Concierge Service. ARTspot will personally do your shopping for you! They can set aside the materials you need, ready for pickup - they can even deliver your supplies to Cole Art Studio the day of class. Call ARTspot at 425.640.6408 for this great service. To ensure your order is filled, please order as early as possible.