“Inspiring Landscapes in Pastel” w/ Amanda Houston
DATE/TIME: Sat-Sun / April 29-30 / 10:30-4:30pm
This workshop is full. Please call the gallery to sign up on the waiting list. We often fill last-minute cancellations from the waiting list. 425.697.2787 425.697.2787
LOCATION: Cole Art Studio, located on the lower level of Cole Gallery. 107 5th Ave S, Edmonds WA 98020
If you want just the right mix of theory, technique and experimentation for learning, this class is for you! This 2-day workshop is packed full with good design principles to make ANY painting successful (the theory part), along with tricks and tips on how to paint inspiring skies and landscapes in pastel (technique).
Amanda notes that “skies set the mood for any painting, and water makes up 70% of the earth’s surface, so it’s time to learn to paint them!” She will teach you her techniques to paint both essential elements for your landscape paintings.
This generous instructor will share all her knowledge of how to paint with pastels, including how to use different techniques on different surfaces to achieve different results. Amanda will demonstrate and teach 3 different techniques that she has developed with pastel, allowing you to try different papers and surfaces for different results.
- 1- Value study directly on her favorite paper (La Carte or Art Spectrum paper).
- 2- Wet underpainting technique using oil paint and/or pastel with denatured alcohol.
- 3- Creating your own surface with Painting a sanded gesso to a board or metal.
Amanda will also have you do some loosening up exercises to open up your creative pathways to push you to make more spontaneous, painterly mark making. This workshop has been very popular with our pastel students. Sign up quickly to secure your spot!
You can purchase your quality art supplies at ARTspot! Registered students receive a 10% discount on all their art supplies from the time of paid registration until the last day of class. Most items on this list are available at ARTspot. Please let their staff advise you about appropriate art materials to fulfill requirements for your class. Artspot's Web Site
- Soft pastels (60-100): As many as you have. If you don't have any, buy at least a 60-80 piece (half stick) landscape or intro set such as Sennelier- 80 half stick or similar good quality soft pastel set. Amanda has a variety of Unison, Great American, Terry Ludwig, and Schminke.
- Hard Pastels (20-40): Girault or Nupastel, in a variety of darks and lights.
- NO oil pastels.
- Gator-board (preferably black but white will work) or Masonite board work well for taping your papers and inspiration references on.
- If you have a favorite paper, please bring it. Everyone has a different opinion on what is 'best' and one of the points of this workshop is trying some out and seeing what works for you. ARTspot has several brands, and of them Amanda recommends Ampersand Pastelbord.*
- Amanda will be demoing on LaCarte paper (Sienna color) as well as Multi-media Artist Panel.
- You can buy a large sheet of each and cut them down into smaller workable sizes for the class: 9x12, 11x14 or 12x16
- 1 - 9x12, 11x14 or 12x16 Art Alternative MDF board or Gatorboard for making your own surfaces. (optional)*
- GLASSINE PAPER: to put over your finished work to protect it in transport. Or sandwich between two pieces of Gatorboard.
*NOTE: If you are unable to find these papers and the board on your own, and want to try them out, the instructor will have some available for purchase for a small fee. She will also have metal available. All three items can be purchased for a $30 supply fee. Amanda will supply sanded gesso as part of the workshop - no additional fee.
Easel of your choice:
- Any field easel will work, like a French easel. Cole Gallery has some loaner easels to use. Please call 425.697.2787 to reserve one. (Amanda uses a Heilman pastel box on a tripod.)
- Photo references of skies and water to bring for subjects inspiration of what you want to paint. KEEP IT SIMPLE.
- Exacto Knife or straight edge to cut (instructor prefers Olfa)
- Spray Fixatives (optional but recommended):
- any workable fixative for between layers of pastel (these enable you to layer and to go back and re-work if necessary)
- Lascaux fixative for finish work (this is the brand Amanda uses, but others work too)
- Sketchbook: Small personal sketchbook
- Selection of pencils: HB, 4B, 6B
- Kneaded eraser
- Hard vine charcoal for sketching on your surface
- Artist tape 3/4" or Blue painters tape
- Paper towels (I like Viva, or Home Depot Shop Towels)
- 1” small inexpensive brush: synthetic, NOT natural bristle. Amanda uses Snap! by Princeton, and these are available at ARTspot.
- View finder
- Tombow grey set of 4 or 6 pens, for value sketches (optional, recommended)
- Wet wipes
- 2 medium sized Tupperware containers filled with cheap cornmeal (to clean your pastels)
Check this out! ARTspot Concierge Service. ARTspot will personally do your shopping for you! They can set aside the materials you need, ready for pickup - they can even deliver your supplies to Cole Art Studio before your class. Call ARTspot at 425.640.6408 for this great service. Note: To ensure your order can be filled, please order as early as possible.