“Skies, Water and Reflections in Pastels” w/ Amanda Houston
DATE/TIME: Sat-Sun / Sept 24-25 / 10:30-4:30pm
COST: $225 + $30 supply fee to instructor
REGISTRATION: Call in, come in, or register online. Scroll to the bottom for online registration. 425.697.2787
LOCATION: Cole Art Studio, located on the lower level of Cole Gallery. 107 5th Ave S, Edmonds WA 98020
Join award-winning artist Amanda Houston, and take this opportunity to try painting with pastels focusing on skies and water and reflections as your subject matter.
Amanda will demo several different techniques on various surfaces to achieve different results. You will be exploring a number of different surfaces such as a sanded paper, an underpainting technique, and your own sanded-gesso prepared board. Morning demos will be followed by afternoon individual time for you to learn these techniques with your own subject matter and materials.
Learn Amanda’s secrets of how to create brilliant skies and gloriously hued reflections on water. This two-day workshop will be jam-packed with tips and tricks on how to set up for a successful painting with demos, loosening up exercises, and plenty of individual instruction at your easel. Previous experience helpful but not necessary.
You can purchase your quality art supplies at ARTspot! Registered students receive a 10% discount on all their art supplies from the time of paid registration until the last day of class. Most items on this list are available at ARTspot. Please let their staff advise you about appropriate art materials to fulfill requirements for your class. Artspot's Web Site
Questions about these supplies? ARTspot staff are happy to help you. Call 425-640-6408 or email at ARTspotEdmonds@gmail.com.
Soft pastels (60-100): as many as you have. If you don't have any, buy at least a 60-80 piece (half stick) landscape or intro set such as Sennelier- 80 half stick or similar good quality soft pastel set. Amanda has a variety of Unison, Great American, Terry Ludwig, Schminke,
Hard Pastels (20-40): Girault or Nupastel, a variety of darks and lights. NO oil pastels.
Gator-board (preferably black but white will work) or Masonite board work well for taping your papers and inspiration references on.
- If you have a favorite paper, please bring it. Everyone has a different opinion on what is "best", and one of the points of this workshop is trying some out and seeing what works for you. ARTspot has several brands, and of them Amanda recommends Ampersand Pastelbord.
- Amanda will be demoing on LaCarte paper (Sienna color) as well as Multi-media Artist Panel . You can buy a large sheet of each and cut them down into smaller workable sizes for the class: 9x12, 11x14 or 12x16 for the class.*
- 1 - 9x12, 11x14 or 12x16 Art Alternative MDF board or Gatorboard for making your own surfaces. (optional)
*if you are unable to find these papers, and want to try them out, the instructor will have some available for purchase for a small fee.
GLASSINE PAPER: to put over your finished work to protect it in transport. Or sandwich between two pieces of Gatorboard.
EASEL of YOUR CHOICE: Any field easel will work, like a French easel. Cole Gallery has some loaner easels to use. Please call 425.697.2787 to reserve one. (Amanda uses a Heilman pastel box on a tripod.)
- Photo references of skies and water to bring for subjects inspiration of what you want to paint. KEEP IT SIMPLE.
- Exact Knife or straight edge to cut (instructor prefers Olfa)
- Spray Fixatives (optional but recommended):
- any workable fixative for between layers of pastel (these enable you to layer and to go back and re-work if necessary)
- Lascaux fixative for finish work (this is the brand Amanda uses, but others work too)
- Sketchbook: Small personal sketchbook
- Selection of pencils: HB, 4B, 6B
- Kneaded eraser
- Hard vine charcoal for sketching on your surface
- Artist tape 3/4"-1" or Blue painters tape
- Paper towels (I like Viva, or Home Depot Shop Towels)
- 1" small inexpensive brush: synthetic, NOT natural bristle. Amanda uses Snap! by Princeton, and these are available at ARTspot.
- View finder
- Tombow grey set of 4 or 6 pens, for value sketches (optional, recommended)
- Wet wipes
- 2 medium sized Tupperware-type containers filled with cheap cornmeal (to clean your pastels)
For the $30 supply fee (please bring cash or a check to the instructor), the instructor will provide sanded gesso medium, roller and sandpaper, as well as lecture, demo and hands-on guidance. Beyond this, she will have extra supplies if people want to purchase more from her.
Check this out! ARTspot Concierge Service. ARTspot will personally do your shopping for you! They can set aside the materials you need, ready for pickup - they can even deliver your supplies to Cole Art Studio before your class. Call ARTspot at 425.640.6408 for this great service. Note: To ensure your order can be filled, please order as early as possible.